spearpoint cutter

nateswoodworks

The spearpoint is my most used blade in the router plane (I have the Veritas model). Skewing the straight blade kinda accomplishes the same thing with the cutting edge, but the benefit of the spearpoint (to me) is that you have the shoulder on the side of the blade that you can run along the groove walls. Also, if you are skewing a straight blade, say, to the left, the right side of the blade is trying to move forward at the same depth as the newly cut side, which without trying it seems problematic.

Thanks for the respose Paul. I have always had good luck with skewing it (well with nothing to compare it to anyway) but it just obviously doesn't work on narrow grooves or dado's and only of you take small passes. You talked me into it, it's going into my LeeValley basket! Thanks again.

Nate

By the way Paul, keep up the great work on your blog!! http://www.halfinchshy.com/

Thanks, Nate! There's a honing handle for that blade since it is removable; sure makes honing it easier. Also if you have an older one (4+ months old?), there's a free upgrade available to the depth stop adjuster. I haven't used mine since I got the adjuster, but I know it was supposed to address the depth stop slipping sometimes. Free if you pay shipping, but shipping is free until September 26! Wahoo (so thanks because I somehow forgot about the free shipping!)