Abralon Tips??

mtmpenn

Hey Everyone,

Rubbing out a shellac finish with abralon and was looking for some tips.

I tried just hand rubbing with the grain and I was not entirely satisfied. I the finish is very close to flat but there are a few imperfections and it seems that the foam backed abralon is not ideal for getting these imperfections out.

So, I am thinking that I will use 600grit wet/dry on a hard block first, then work my way up the abralon grits.

For people that use abralon, do you hand sand the high grits or use a random orbit sander? If you hand sand, do you go with the grain at all times or do you change it up? How much pressure do you use on the pad? I noticed some scratches from my early efforts and the sheen is not quite what I was expecting (worked up to 4000g abralon by hand and it is a little duller than the straight shellac... I like the resulting sheen but am wondering if the slight dullness is to be expected or is due to user error).

Thanks,

Mike

First, do you have enough shellac on the surface to rub-out? Remember, when rubbing a finish your are actually removing a layer or two of the shellac :)

Second, yes block sand with 600 first to get finish flat level and smooth.

Third, then I will go from 600 wet/dry paper directly to the 1000 grit Abralon. I like to machine sand using a regular old ROS (be careful your using an electrical device with water) and a little soapy water.

IMG_3480.jpg

Fourth, yes you can hand sand using Abralon pads sanding with the grain using moderate pressure and soapy water. Always check your sanding progress in a raking light. Rubbing with a 1000 grit pad will get you to a satin finish. 4000 grit Abralon will take you to a gloss finish. Remember one thing, as the lower grit Abralon pad wears out (which it shouldn't for a good long time) it can take your finish up to a higher gloss, sorta becomes a higher grit pad.

Fifth, depending how deep your grain pockets are and assuming your going for a satin finish, before rubbing your finish with the 1000 grit Abralon. Take an automotive quality maroon scuff pad (synthetic steel wool) gently wipe the surface getting into the grain pockets to knock down the gloss shine. The Abralon will only sand the flat outer surface of your wood.

-Ace-

• Like 1

No problem at all. Make sure the finish has completely cured before rubbing out ANY finish. After rubbing an area, wipe it back dry with a rag. Then take a spray bottle of water, spray the surface and wipe off any soap residue.

Moral of the story...ya don't leave your surface wet, ya don't leave a frying pan on a hot stove unattended :o

-Ace-