In the market for a thickness sander

sbarton22

Not sure what your seeing in the $600 range. Jets smallest drum sander 16-32 is $1000 and is ok, not great but ok. The 22-44 oscillating is much better but $2000 and Jets best is the 22-44pro is $2600. All of these are pretty low end and marginal as far as drum sanders go. Just to make sure you understand, drum sanders are not really made to handle thicknessing unless your trying to do veneer.

Don

I found my 16-32 Performax, which is really just a pre-Jet, on craiglist for $600. Take a look on there for previously owned machines.

Not sure what is just "okay" about it. Maybe I have not used enough drum sanders to know. I realize they are not cabinet shop or full production models but they are pretty high end for a garage shop or hobbyist.

As far as thicknessing, isn't that what these are by definition. You probably would not want to make a hundred passes to get a piece of wood flat but to true it up or get the high spots off a panel is kind of "thicknessing" in my opinion.

Maybe I'm saying it wrong, but drum sander is the same thing. I can resaw thin slices (could be thicker than veneers) on my bandsaw, but I have no way of getting a smooth face. I tried making a jig for my planer, but that just doesn't cut it. I'm just frustrated of changing my designs because I don't know how or have the tools to fabricate the ways I do know.

I saw http://www.amazon.com/SHOP-W1740-12-Inch-Drum-Sander/dp/B001R23T94/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1317256454&sr=8-13 on Amazon. I have never tried Shop Fox, but I can only guess the quality isn't the best.

Basically, my need is far outweighing my golden rule of only buying a tool once. I hate to spend $600 to turn around and spend $1k-2k, but I am running out of ideas.

The Jet/Performax 16/32 is list about $1,000. Them and PowerMatic (same company) usually has promotions around November/December where they feature a few models for two weeks (or so) at a time. I caught the 16/32 last year for about $750 (plus tax).

Unless you find a great condition one on Craigslist or through connections, I'd be careful about used drum sanders unless you are mechanical marvel. You need to be able to adjust it to be flat across the full width. Once set, my experience is that it holds well, but it can be tricky. I'd expect a roughly handled machine would have most issues with that attribute.

As others have said, it is not a production machine, but quite capable for serious hobby woodworker. Marc had that one until he got the larger model which has other benefits besides increased width, but my impression was that he was very happy with his 16/32.

I can't speak to the Fox/Grizzly offerings.

Maybe I'm saying it wrong, but drum sander is the same thing. I can resaw thin slices (could be thicker than veneers) on my bandsaw, but I have no way of getting a smooth face. I tried making a jig for my planer, but that just doesn't cut it. I'm just frustrated of changing my designs because I don't know how or have the tools to fabricate the ways I do know.

I saw http://www.amazon.co...7256454&sr=8-13 on Amazon. I have never tried Shop Fox, but I can only guess the quality isn't the best.

Basically, my need is far outweighing my golden rule of only buying a tool once. I hate to spend $600 to turn around and spend $1k-2k, but I am running out of ideas.

Drum sanders are a luxury item and IMO you dont really get the bang for the buck like most other tools. For veneers you want to be accurate as possible thus why the jets are a bit of a pain. The small jets have drum sag issues but if you take the time to learn how to adjust it you will get quick at it. Some have conveyer issues but again once you learn to adjust it you can get past the issue. The bigger ones have the same issues but not as bad and the 22-44 pro has none of those issues because its a completely different design with a moving table instead of a moving head. The smaller ones if you replace the adjustment bolts with a grade 8 bolt and use star washers they keep the adjustment better than the factory bolts. Both the 16-32 and the 22-44 not pro are underpowered so you have to go real slow and take small bites. The pro will chew through much more wood easily but it has a much larger 220v motor.

VitalBodies mentioned woodmasters. These come up on craigslist all the time. The 26" for $1000 used is about the average for an older machine. One of these even 10 years old is better than any Jet. My buddy bought one very used for $900 and runs a 3 man cabinet shop with it just fine. The little jets can be had on craigslist for under $600. If you stumble onto an older model then jet makes a conveyer upgrade kit that will make it like a new one. The older ones had serious issues with the conveyer tracking. IMO the jet is about as low end as I would go on a drum sander, sanding takes alot of force and the cheaper machines are not build to take the strain.

Don