Saving Money With DIY Ducting...

VitalBodies

This was one of my most exciting shop projects of the year. I was able to get affordable ducting built and in place on time and on budget.

I wrote an article on my site about it with images and such but felt the folks here on TWW would enjoy this project. I had not seen this done elsewhere.

I built my own 8" main line.

Setting Up Dust Collection For The Home Shop

Let me know what think and if you have any questions.

The main line is up and running and I am still working on the shop (work in process) and the adding drops.

I have more 4" ports I need to add.

So far the duct is working great!

Admin/Moderator: Duct, ducting and dust collection (etc) tags are not on the list that I could find...

Great! I've thought about doing this, and I've saved the link for when I set up my system.

You talk about leaving enough blast gates open to assure air flow One idea I've had is to put a weighted swinging damper at the end of my main line. The suction would pull the damper open when no gates were open, and as gates were opened to tools, the suction would be reduced and the damper would close. At least, that's my idea - I don't know if it would work in practice.

I've also thought about making custom curved rectangular ducting by cutting curved boards for two sides and fitting aluminum sheets (roof flashing) to the other two sides.

Great! I've thought about doing this, and I've saved the link for when I set up my system.

You talk about leaving enough blast gates open to assure air flow One idea I've had is to put a weighted swinging damper at the end of my main line. The suction would pull the damper open when no gates were open, and as gates were opened to tools, the suction would be reduced and the damper would close. At least, that's my idea - I don't know if it would work in practice.

I've also thought about making custom curved rectangular ducting by cutting curved boards for two sides and fitting aluminum sheets (roof flashing) to the other two sides.

Interesting ideas. I considered putting a BLAST gate into the center of my duct but decided to wait, I wanted to the DC operational sooner than later. I used Rockler blast gates ON THE PORTS that are made for tools (ToolGate) as they had more grab for over head use after trying the metal kind first. It will be fun to see what you build if you build your own ducting. If you have more overhead room consider being able to have the ports come out the sides (square duct). In my case I have a low ceiling and needed the shelf space.

Edited by VitalBodies

Thanks that's what I was hoping for I went 30a on dedicated on the my DC. Is the DC handling your woodmaster ok. Is it a drum Sander?

Don

The DC does not really handle the Woodmaster perfectly well. It is not the DC but the hood on the Woodmaster is too large for one 4" port.

The DC does pull the fine dust and the vast majority (most) of the shavings but not all of the shavings. Pretty much like you see in the videos about Woodmaster.

I might modify my hood to take two or three ports or make a new hood out of clear plastic.

The Woodmaster (I have) is a planer that can be converted to a drum sander (rip, molder etc). I hope to try the sander soon.

I am using 10 wire. Here in Oregon you have to limit your run to 35 feet or go to bigger wire.

Thanks I was looking at that same dust collector. Right now Im fairly set on the PM double drum and it has two ports hoping 3hp DC is going to be enough.

Don

I really like the DC. It is a nice unit. I thought about going with the Clearvue but it seemed more work to make everything than I needed right down to the barrel.

I like the remote on the Grizzly also.

The details matter on this kind of thing. The barrel is really nice and yes they are heavy (when full) and you need them to roll like this one does. If you are planning a head of time you need to use actual measurements not the supplied drawings.

I put this one on a roller stand and I am glad I did. This machine is big, heavy and bulky.