Some Planer Guidance

Hasselback

The 1301 and the 1300 are almost the same planer (different covers, though.) The RapidSet blades are easily changed, but they are the same 1/16" thick HS steel blade alloy which most portable planers use, and they dull fairly quickly because they are not hard enough to keep a tempered edge when they heat up.

I've had an AP1300 (takes the same blades) for a long time which I bought reconditioned for $150, and I've rebuilt it after tearing it up on 300bf of Hard Maple last Winter. Parts are cheap and readily available.

My AP1300 has been a really good portable planer, but I just recently bought a bigger Jet planer with 1/8" carbide blades because I work in Hard Maple a lot and didn't want to tear up another portable planer. Buy the best tool you can afford - I wish I had done this 10 years and three planers ago.

If you can commit to staying away from very hard woods, with wide planks, this planer will work well for you. It is a little tough to set up the outfeed table to minimize snipe, but with a little patience, it can be done.

It is loud, and can be used without a dust collector if need be, but it can be attached with a short hose to a good sized shop vac.

My HD is closing out the 1301 out for $196. They are a two-blade planer, and are not as good as the 3-blade, two-speed Dewalt.

Avoid the middlemen and buy your blades here:

www.globaltooling.net

They have the best value in planer blades (and everyone else buys from them and marks up a lot!)