Skewed Rabbet setup

superdav

Guys I have acquired 2 skewed rabbet planes and am i need of setup and technique tips.

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0698.jpg

Here are the two planes I have purchased. Forgive the first picture that was taken before the refurbish. The biggest problem I am having is stair stepping. What is the proper angle for the bevel on the irons? Thank you for any tips. Dave

Start by honing the flat face of the iron completely flat. To get the proper skew angle, put the iron in the plane and scribe from the sole. Machinist's layout fluid is a great help for this. If you use layout fluid only scribe a single line. Grind to your line at 90º to the face of the iron then grind a primary bevel at 25º to very nearly eliminate that flat you created while grinding at 90º. Free hand hone a secondary bevel at about 30º. It should only take three or four passes on the stones to create this secondary bevel. You need a slight relief angle on the sides of the iron, maybe about 5º to 7º but you want to slightly flatten these side angles by honing a pass or two on a fine stone and do this at 90º. This will give you relief but keep the plane from drifting into your cut as you progress.

Thank you lwllms for you time and explanation. I never had thought to scribe the skew with the iron in the plane. I had just followed the prexisting bevel. There was also a good bevel on the side of the iron, that i sharpened. I do beleve it is teh side of the iron that is giving me the problem.

Thank you for your time.

Admission... I can put a scary sharp edge on a chisel and plane blade and have been using sharpies for setup on the bevel. I had to google layout fluid to see what it was. I didn't know the stuff existed.

We learn something every day.

Today i learned about 2 things. thanks