Excalibur/General International

Vic

I'm still not sure how everything is gonna shake out, but here is the situation. Years ago I got a great deal on an Excalibur sliding table for my Delta X5. The problem has been a very slight bow in the fence. A month and a half ago, I called to find out how to order a new fence. Excalibur is now owned by General International, a company located in Montreal, CA. I spoke with a guy named Serge in the parts department and he sent me an email with the part number I'd need for my model of slider. Today I got the new miter fence. Two things, it's the one for the smaller Excalibur sliding table model and the walls of aluminum on the fence are MUCH thinner. Hopefully the engineering will help it stay flat and they will do right by me. I'm already hesitant to actually just return the fence, because it took so long to even ship that the purchase showed on my credit card statement two weeks before I even got it. The problem may be a language barrier problem. I'm unsure. I will keep you informed. I LOVE this slider. Makes it very easy to cut sheet stock.

Hi VIc,

I can't speak to your exact fence or table, but i recently bought a bunch of General International tools and they were great with support. The bandsaw I bought was missing the rubber feet for the cast iron cabinet so it wiggled a bit, i called them up and they sent me the part right away, no questions asked. I was able to reach a live person on a friday afternoon at 4:30pm, so i was impressed.

Hi VIc,

I can't speak to your exact fence or table, but i recently bought a bunch of General International tools and they were great with support. The bandsaw I bought was missing the rubber feet for the cast iron cabinet so it wiggled a bit, i called them up and they sent me the part right away, no questions asked. I was able to reach a live person on a friday afternoon at 4:30pm, so i was impressed.

Cool! I'm hoping my second experience is better than the first. I really think it might've been a language barrier between me and the parts guy.

Cool! I'm hoping my second experience is better than the first. I really think it might've been a language barrier between me and the parts guy.

I hope that is the case, but your concern is understandable for sure. I get worried whenever a company changes hands, which seems to be a lot lately, and then when it seems chintzier that just makes me more nervious. I have always considered General to be a high end company and hope that doesn't change, please keep us posted.

nate

Update:

I contacted General Int'l yesterday. They are going to see what they can do and call me back on Monday. The fence they were supposed to ship me is over $100 more! The parts guy, Jean-Denis didn't want to charge me that much. Nice of him. Anyway, I'll keep ya posted.

• 3 weeks later...

OK...wrap up on this particular situation: Jean-Denis sent me a replacement fence, but sent the same one. LOL! They did not charge me extra for the shipment AND did not have me ship back the original incorrect part. At this point, I've decided to just take my slightly bowed fence to a machinist and have it trued, rather than waste any more time. I think the attitude and intent of General International's customer service was excellent. I'm still thinking there may be a language problem or something like that. But, I'm moving on. I thought I'd let the forum know the final outcome.