My new shooting board and new L/N #51

JayWC

I purchased the #51 a month or so ago and last night I finished the shooting board. I installed the fence as square as I could and used the method Chris Schwarz blogged about to do the fine adjustment. I installed a self adhesive backed UHMW runner on the right side as well as a nice quarter sawn piece of ash for the right side guide. There is room on the left for the left handed #51 Deneb mentioned on the phone (when I was talking to him about another plane) that L/N is planning to make in the next few years.

I need to build the 45 degree fence soon as I am going to be doing moulding on a series of dressers as well as helping my sister install mahogany baseboard in her house.

I had to share so thanks for looking!

post-3726-0-93899700-1323969673_thumb.jp

post-3726-0-16925600-1323969686_thumb.jp

post-3726-0-78413700-1323969689_thumb.jp

I read about both the #9 and #51. In the end I chose the #51. There is nothing wrong with the #9, but it also seems to me that it should be used with an inclined shooting board. The frog on the #51 is rotated to create a shearing action on a flat shooting board. I also preferred the handle/comfort. I realize that comfort is completely subjective. I also used my #62 for shooting prior to getting the #51 and will likely use the left side for that if the angle or profile of the moulding requires it to keep any potential blow out on the back side.

I read about both the #9 and #51. In the end I chose the #51. There is nothing wrong with the #9, but it also seems to me that it should be used with an inclined shooting board. The frog on the #51 is rotated to create a shearing action on a flat shooting board. I also preferred the handle/comfort. I realize that comfort is completely subjective. I also used my #62 for shooting prior to getting the #51 and will likely use the left side for that if the angle or profile of the moulding requires it to keep any potential blow out on the back side.

Nice job on your shooting board.

I also bought the #51, but I got lazy on the shooting board and just got one from Evenfall Studios: http://www.evenfallstudios.com/woodworks/2011/06/16/shooting-chute-boards-for-the-ln-51/

I wouldn't call it lazy. Sometimes we have the motivation to build our jigs and tools. Other times we have the motivation to use them more quickly by buying parts and moving on to other projects that interest us. To me, we only have so much shop time so we should use it wisely. If you have the money to buy the shooting board and get to use the plane more quickly...why not? :)

Regarding the no. 9, I never understood why LN didn't slightly alter the design and give it a low angle bed. While I think the need for a low angle on end grain tends to be slightly over hyped it would have a made a lot of sense to put one on the miter plane. Anyway, yeah I agree sloped shooting board would be probably benefit just about any plane used for shooting.Price difference aside and given the choice, I'd probably had gone with the 51 as well.

The Super Chute 2.0 from Tico Vogt is a clever design:

Yeah, its a way cool. My current shooting board is based on the plan that LN has on their website. I've seen a few plans online for sloped shooting boards and hopefully one day soon will get around to making one. I'll probably make sepreate boards for the miter and donkey's ear though rather than detachable accesories. Would take up more space, but I have on more then one occasion needed to go back and forth between square and 45 degess, which is a pain if you need to switch out accessories. That's by no means a cut on Ticos board though - that thing is definitly SWEET, and the way he mounts the add on makes them way easier to switch in and out.