Files, Rasps and Rifflers

JimB1

I was watching the Frank Klaus Mortise and Tenon video the other day (for like the 100th time) and he uses a file to narrow the tenon to fit so that got me thinking...

It doesn't get much airtime compared to the glamorous planes and chisels around here but what files, rasps and rifflers do you find indespensable? What would you recommend every woodworker have available in their toolbox?

Any brands you'd specifically recommend? Best value or top tier?

Let me know what you think...

-Jim

Like HoboMonk, I love Iwasaki files; very little cleaning needed after using them.

Absolutely - the blood comes away with ease - damn but they are sharp. They don't leave dust, they leave very small shavings. I followed Hobomonk's advise a few months back and got the fine cut files - very impressive. I'll be after the smaller super fine files next.

John

The down side to using a rasp or file to tune tenons is that you have a tendency round over the cheek the more material you remove. It's almost impossible to keep the rasp completely parallel to the tenon through the entire stroke. A #78 rabbet plane is still my tool of choice for that operation unless I'm removing almost minuscule amounts of material. And when I do, I use a japanese file with a "safe" edge to protect the tenon shoulder. I do use rasps quite a bit for any wood shaping though.

• 2 weeks later...

Gramercy Rasps, I like em'! I should have got the "handle makers" rasp for making the handles on my Carcass saw kits! :)

10" 16ppi and a 12" 25ppi" . Smooth action from both, although the 12" was a little awkward to use in making the handles.

I got to use some Gramercy rasps (10" 16ppi and 25ppi) at the LN event in Brooklyn last weekend. Really excellent! Nice guys to talk to as well...

They are on my list :)

-Jim