Coloring various wood species to look similar

Ezee

I'm planning on doing some wainscotting in a newly finished basement. To save a lot on wood costs and seasonal movement of the wood, I plan on making the stiles and rails out of 3/4 birch ply, a flat panel of 1/4 ply then trim the panel with poplar bolection moulding bought from a lumber yard. Also a cap made from poplar and base moulding from the same. I also plan to order doors in poplar. SO, my question is, is it a pipe dream to think I can stain/color birch and poplar to appear (to the average person) to look the same? I would like to go with a darker color, possibly like dark cherry or mahogany. I realize the differences in grain patters cannot be altered. As far as equipment, I just bought an earlex 5500 but have not run stain through it yet

You can certainly do this with high quality, fast drying, pigment stain(s), over a shellac or lacquer sanding sealer barrier. H. Behlen is one easily obtained brand that will work. The stain won't penetrate, but will essentially act like a transparent paint. Test on samples of each wood, using the exact combination of materials, including the sand paper and clear coat.

This is done every day in the factory furniture, millwork, and cabinet industry.

Seal the wood, lightly scuff with 400 grit, spray the stain, quickly and lightly dry brush the stain in the grain direction with a dry china bristle brush, let dry, clear coat. If you screw up, simply wash off the stain with solvent before you clear coat, and do it again. You can layer multiple colors by adding additional barrier coats between stains.

In this case, you're completely sealing the wood before staining, not washcoating it, as you might with home center stains to limit blotching.

This will not work with Minwax or most paint brand stains, as they don't dry in this setting. You NEED pigment stains that will dry in 15-20 minutes while sitting on a sealed surface. Some folks may refer to them as "lacquer stains". Best results are obtained if the stain, clear coat, lacquer sealer (if selected over Seal Coat), and thinners, are the same brand.