GF Arm-a-Seal over GF Gel Wipe-on Topcoat Urethane

StrangeRANGER

First, a topcoat should be matched to the use of the piece. That decision can save you some money. Not all topcoats are made alike. Some have more or less of the good stuff making it tougher or less tougher, flexible or less flexible. Example, a picture frame, by that I mean a picture frame or a clock needs less protection than a counter top... you get the idea. ;)

So if this is a back to a cabinet...yes applying Arm-R-Seal over the gel is overkill. The General Finishes Gel is a thin finish meant to be applied and wiped off, just not a ton of solids in it to build a thicker more protective finish (unless you apply lots of coats)...so this is a great finish for something that requires less protection.

Hope this helps.

The project is for a pair of pedicure chairs that will have sinks and plumbing installed. Originally the "counter area" was going to be tiled, my wife liked the look of the GF walnut stain used on the rest of the project so much she wants the counters stained to match. I stained and coated about 8 layers of the Gel Topccoat, but after listening to hours and hours of Woodtalk and hearing so much about Arm-a-Seal I think it would be best to go over the Gel Topcoat with Arm-a-Seal?