Panel saws, what options are out there?

JimB1

I am putting together a list of tools I want to get (based around the list on http://www.renaissan...ntro/tool-list/) and am thinking about panel saws.

I like Lie-Nielsen however it'd a bit of a stretch price wise for a pair of 26" or 28" panel saws (rip & crosscut) from them at $225 each. Lee Valley and ToolsForWorkingWood both carry Pax panel saws for around $100 each which is much more in the range I can hit.

Anyone use the Pax ones? Any others for a reasonable (less then $150 each) price I should think about?

I want something decent that I don't need to do any work on (kind of lazy that way) and I know is setup decent out of the box so I know if an issue is me or the tool. So I'm not looking to find a old Disston or something and would prefer new, ready to go stuff that I can get whenever I have cash. I hate finding a deal when I have no money or having money but not being able to find what I want :)

Any ideas?

Thanks

-Jim

Well, I have a few cheap $20 saws that I can (and do) practice sharpening on. I just need something decent to actually work with.

I've decided my hobby isn't refurbishing old tools, it's building stuff with wood so I'd like to focus on that... hence my need for decently working new saws (and other tools). Maybe when I have more time to devote to it I'll get into the refurbishing thing but when you only have an hour or two a week to spend on your hobby, you have to decide if you want to spend that refurbishing a tool or building something.

I know a lot of folks love the whole "I rebuilt it from one I got at a yard sale for $5" thing but sometimes you just want to work on your projects and not have to finish fixing your tools before you can do what you really want to do. Yeah, it may cost a little more but to me, it's worth it. I can always send a good saw elsewhere to be set and sharpened if I don't feel confident to do it... just like I do my tablesaw blades...

I'm tired of spending a lot of time trying to figure out optimizing tools. If it takes me a week to fix up and adjust an old plane that I got for $50 or I can get a decent new plane that cost $200 but only takes me 30 minutes to tune up, the higher cost is really justified to me now with the only exceptions being stuff my Dad gives me or that I just can't justify the price of the new version or simply can't get a new version of.

Might be sacrilege to some Neanderthals but I guess I am just too pragmatic and not sentimental enough :)

-Jim

• Like 1

Jim I sent you a PM about a couple of Disston's that I have for sale that are sharp and in good shape ready for use. On the other hand if I were in the market for new panel saws I would go with the LN's. I owned the PAX saws for a couple months and they sucked. Not even close to as sharp as my Disston saws are.