Taunton Press Fine Woodworking DVD

Drirot

After a number of emails from Taunton Press advertising there complete archive of all their back issues, I finally caved in. Initially there was a problem with some of the first issues, but the were quick to respond and I had an updat in a couple of days. This is probably the most complete set, it even includes the December 2011 issue. If you like reading old magazines and seeing how things change over the years, this is for you. If you like the magazine and never remember to pick up an issue this is for you. I even found a project that my Uncle had built a long time ago, and now I have it as well as the article and plans.

The DVD include a viewer that allows searching and an indes of all the issues. The files are in PDF format, and I put them into my iTunes and now have the PDFs in iBooks on my iPad. It makes it nice to carry 223 issues in my iPad. You don't get the bells and whistles on the iPad, but it is easy to read.

$150 seems a little steep, but that works out to 67¢ an issue. I bought mine on a promotional special, which was even better.

I picked up the 2010 version about a year ago, it's been a pretty good reference so far. I find the search a little archaic, but it works ok. I also picked up the Pop Woodworking Archive DVD which is similar but uses an Acrobat PDF search tool instead of the custom search that Taunton included. Putting all the PDFs from both archives into a folder and using the Pop WWing search was been pretty good, though a little slow.