Minwax oil stains are great, but they stink

emccrory

I love Minwax brand oil stains. My wife is very, very sensitive to the smell. In good weather, I stain in the garage. But now in the winter, I have to stain in our basement workshop. My wife is unhappy about this.

What can I do to mitigate the smell? Here is what I know/think:

• Normal HEPA filters don't touch it (in my experience, they seem to make it worse (because of the air motion?))
  • Installing a hood would be the best solution, but I fear that would be too expensive
  • Putting the rags and brushes, that I used for the staining, into a sealed can after the work helps
  • It looks like, maybe, a charcoal-enhanced filter can help, but quick Amazon survey shows these to be hundreds of dollars
  • They say that ozone-producing filters help with other chemical smells (like the smells from used kitty litter). Another quick survey at Amazon reveals things in the $120+ range. This might be doable for me.

What do you folks think?

Thanks in advance.

I don't think Minwax is great,but here's how I deal with smells I don't want moving from my basement shop to the house.

Negative air...

I run a fan in the basement, forcing air outside. Whatever opening I use, the area not contained by the fan is filled with rigid foam insulation, blue or pink, cut to fit the opening. I then open a door to upstairs, and a window upstairs.

The idea is to draw air from the living space, into the workspace, which is blown outside. No smell enters the living area. This is the same idea used by asbestos removers to keep fibers inside the containment.

If you have a furnace, make sure you have an easy enough air passage from upstairs as to not backdraft the chimney. A great way to test this is to watch your "draft flapper" on the furnace, then turn on the fan. If the flap action changes when the fan and furnace are running, you need more air from outside or above the basement. If not, you've got enough. A CO detector is also a good idea.

• Like 2

JJ: I have tried water-based stains. I don't like them. I use them occasionally on unimportant items.

I guess I'd say that my motivation for this post was to see if there are any technology solutions to this problem, like air purifiers. Some people swear by Ozone purifiers, but the EPA says that this is hokum and potentially dangerous.

I feel ya but I have started using GF dye stain and I been extremely happy with the color and finishes I been getting, to be honest it is my preferred finish now, these water born finishes have came a long way but don't get me Wrong there are a few out there I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pool. But I been having great success with them. I use their polyacrylic top coat as well for spraying and avian having great success.

(null)

I work exclusively in my basement shop (although I might set up something in the garage if I ever get into HVLP) so I also have this issue with finishes.

I employ Barry's approach (above) - negative air pressure. I have a small plywood panel with a small window fan unit attached; when needed, I remove the small flip down basement window in my shop and replace it with this unit, blowing the air out. I then crack another one of the basement windows on the other side (on the finished side) for fresh air intake. The negative pressure in my workshop totally prevents the odors from reaching the living space. I keep the door between the finished/unfinished areas open a small ways for better airflow.

I recently finished a new outfeed table with an oil/varnish blend, and then a thinned (wiping) varnish (GF Arm-R-Seal), and after each application (at night) I would leave the fan on until the morning. In the morning, there was still a small smell of finish in the workshop but I could not smell anything in the living space.

I have not had any backdraft issues, as the open window seems to provide enough fresh air. My CO detectors have not once complained. We're fortunate that we have had a very mild winter so far, and since my basement is always kept cooler than the rest of the hosue, I'm not terribly concerned about heat loss.

Have you considered installing an air exchanger in your home (a Heat Recovery Ventilator -HRV- or Energy Recovery Ventilator -ERV-)? This will not solve your VOC issue on its own, but its a good idea people with sensitivities (or for good air quality in general). I have one, and use it on a constant Low setting. It constantly brings in fresh air and removes stale air. While doing so, it keeps a high percentage of the energy used to heat/cool your home.