Wood choice for salad bowls..

DaBear

I'm thinking of making a couple salad bowls for my nephew and his wife, and I'm wondering if there are any specific woods to stay away from? Keep in mind, I'm looking at this from the perspective that I want them to actually be used, not just looked at.. I've got some lovely oak, but I'm leaning away from it due to the open pores.. I've also got some ash that would be interesting. Another option would be a simple segmented turning (nothing fancy, just likely a few triangles of maple/walnut)? Note that neither have any allergies..

Second question: Finish.. I was thinking of just using mineral oil.. Anything better?

Feel free to call any of my ideas above 'dumb' or worse :)..

Thanks,

Da Bear....

You should be fine with the usual suspects as you mentioned. Maple is my favorite for this type of piece but cherry (some controversy here) and walnut are a good bet as well. Mineral oil works well for a finish; I also like walnut oil on pieces that are going to see a little more use.

But it sounds like you're right on the mark...

Traditionally, walnut is the wood of choice for salad bowls. However, tight grained woods such as maple also work. I like to use boiled linseed oil first for a finish and then tell the recipient to use mineral oil. Mineral oil by itself never cures, so the coat of BLO will "seal" the bowl and the subsequent of mineral oil is just for maintenance. If you use a light wood like maple, the BLO will yellow it slightly, that's another reason to use walnut.

If you are going to want a wax, go with a beeswax. Board Butter is the product I started with. It is a mixture of beeswax and mineral oil...probably in the range of a 5:1 to 6:1 ratio. Make your own or buy form the board butter guy or the one you linked.

I would recommend mineral oil versus an organic oil (walnut, olive, vegetable) because eventually they will go rancid. Never tried with a base coat of BLO.

And remember, we have been eating out of wood bowls for centuries...people a lot dumber than you have made them and done well with them, so you will surely do a fine job as well. :D