first few small bowls that i made

duckkisser

after many many practice pieces of scrap glue ups i ended up with a pair of bowls that i decided i had practiced enought to atempt a decent bowl.

DSCN0122.jpg

DSCN0121.jpg

this bowl had a ingrowth of bark in the spalted that i left on to accent the spalted coloring that was on the bowl. it has a natural edge on one side to show off the spalted texture on that side. i kept it shallow since its just going to be a ash tray and as i started to go deeper the bark incrowth started to show up towards the bottom and i was afraid that bowl might break or the ashes would be able to fall out the bottom. this is only done in linseed oil so there is no shine. was going for a simple and rustic looking piece.

DSCN0120.jpg

DSCN0118.jpg

DSCN0117.jpg

DSCN0116.jpg

this was a second bowl i made to be a keeper it came from the same piece as the one above but the color was unusal to say the least. half the wood has this odd yellow spots. the othere side has a dark streaked apearence this was finished with linseed oil and then CA glue and it came out extreamly smoth and even just needs to be polished. if anyone knows what caused the spots i would be very inturest in knowing as i would like to get more like it. this is my favorite because of the differences in color makes me think of day and night. these both came from the same small block of wood that i pulled out of a fire pit. i grabed it because of the spalted that i used for a box lid on a jewlary box.

the fire pile i got it out of was at a lumber mill down the road and i dont think it was that green. anyways it hasent warped any and i had it in my shop for months after i milled it flat and when i turned it it was just as flat as the day i milled it. oh forgot to say i think it maple but who knows with that much color change to it. but it feel solid and it turns like maple. the best part is that most people would not look twice at it like i said the bark ingrowth was right down the middle and it was a bigen but i saw the spalted on the sides and pulled it out to cut the sides off for the box tops of some jewlary boxes. then i decided that since i had no thick wood except that i would put it on the lathe to trim it up and see what came of it.