Teak Table - What to do now? What to do later?

AverageJoeMN

Greetings!, new to the forum and anxious to get started. I am a first time homeowner and just picked up a teak table. The table has two self storing leaves and is in generally good condition except one spot that is damaged. I am interested in what I should do now to keep the wood in good condition, and then knowing what I could do to refinish the table in the future:

Table1.jpg

Surface1.jpg

Surface2.jpg

SideView.jpg

DamageSpot.jpg

corner.jpg

I'm refinishing oak table and chairs. The table was the easiest part. personally, I would sand with the random orbital sander at 80 grit. Then to 120. After 120 you should switch to hand sanding with the grain @150 grit up to 220. this will hide any swirl marks. As for the chunk that looks like it's ready to fall out, I would fill it with epoxy (possibly tinted) after 80 grit, scrape it smooth and then continue through the grits as stated above. As for the finish I would recommend. General. Finishes enduro-var. Its water based and it can be wiped on with a clean cotton rag (tshirt material) .

But that's just me and I'm fairly new to refinishing.