router Table

Hey guys. It has become painfully aware that i need a table for my router. I Need to build one on the cheap though. ($50-75) i am a hobbiest at most, so it doesnt need to be too extravegant. I have seen a few plans floating around the net, but nothing that grabs me. I am looking for any suggestions to the general design, as well as any corners that might can be cut without sacraficing the integrity of the table. someone somewhere had written about using an old counter top for the top.. what do you guys think about that... again any input would be much appreciated.

thanks...

M.M.

Mike is right. Grab a sheet of 3/4 MDf ($25) and a router plate ($10-$500 depending on which one you pick). Lam two sheets of the MFD together. that will give you a nice flat base. Cover it in laminate if you like (I would), build a small fence. Throw a few hardwood runners on the bottom for extra support. Bam, set up a few saw horses and lay your new table top across them. You now have a strong, sturdy, router table.

It ain't gotta look good, to work well. Take your time with the top, make it nice, then build your nice matching base later. ;)

Mitchell M.

The August/Sept issue of Woodcraft Magazine has a nice router table you can build. It has ample storage for bits and built in wiring with a Kreg switch. It suggests plywood for the material but I bet you could use MDF for this project. I got my magazine at Barnes and Nobel. In addition to the router table there is a project in there for a fence to go with the router table as well as how to use Laminate to surface your new router table. Other features include a dust collection port and double locking casters($16.50 each)

Almost like an all in one instruction book on how to build a great looking router table, while building new skills such as applying laminate.

I am wanting to build this for my shop and bought this magazine just for that purpose.

You can take a look at the router table at their website: http://www.woodcraftmagazine.com/

Also it lists parts you can buy all pre-manufactured. For example, a 24 x 32" premium router table top is $39.99

Good Luck!

Harold

You can go to the link below Mitchell and get one or more of the 28 free router table plans. One of them should be in the ball park for your needs. Just scroll down until you see plan #1, then keep scrolling until something catches your attention.

http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2007/03/03/toolcribcoms-ultimate-guide-to-free-router-table-plans/

M.M., I've been using the two sheets of MDF and a Bench Dog router lift on a couple of saw horses for way too many years, because it's functional. I plan on building an outfeed table in the not too distant future and will put it there at that time, but for. Way less than $50.

Oh yea, the $50 to $75 dollar range now I feel dumb sheesh :huh:

Harold

-- on second thought, the plywood requirements (which could be substituted for MDF) is 1 sheet (4x8) 3/4" and one sheet (4x8) 1/2" My estimated cost would be $25 for the 3/4 sheet mdf and $20 for the 1/2 sheet mdf which puts it at $45.00. then you have your hardware (drawer pulls) casters etc, wood screws etc. That should be right in your price range.

-- Harold