Dealing with cyclone saw dust.

dwacker

I have a cyclone mounted outside the 55g drum is to small and a pain to empty. Im thinking about going and picking up one of those cheap 10ft long trailers at lowes and building a box to just have the cyclone dump into. Does anyone know if having the cyclone not attached to a sealed drum will make any difference performance wise. Sure would be nice just to take it to the dump once maybe twice a month since its considered yard waste and free.

Don

Thanks I got the answer. I would have to install a rotory air lock. Seems that without the sealed barrels you loose the cyclone action and all the sawdust will go out the filter side. You can run it wide open and collect out the filter side but you loose about 25% power. I did come up with a solution. I just ordered a barrel lid from griz. Im going to cut the bottom off the barrel and put a lid on the botton with a 10" blast gate. Elevate the barrel onto a shelf then just open the blast gate to empty right into the trailer.

Don

Don, You may end up with a “bridging” issue that will not allow the chips to empty. You may need to configure some type of agitator to break up the chips that will allow them to go through the hole in the blast gate.

I may have that figured out also. The griz cyclone has a 1.5" vac hose port so Im going to stick an air hose in it to hopefully break the compacted dust. I figured if I just dumped it daily there would be no issue. I also found out the plant I apprenticed at has a brick press and will take all of it for free and is closer than the dump. :)

Don