Wipe On Poly Brands

sbarton22

I'm looking for a high gloss wipe on poly. The key characteristic being the wipe on part.

So, with that said, what are your favorite brands?

I have tried the Minwax WOP from Lowes, and it was fine, but I felt it was lacking something.

I have tried a water based WOP from General Finishes...I think it was called Premium Finish? I liked that a LOT, but it was a satin finish, looking for a gloss finish this time.

I don't know the correct GF product I would want.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

To wipe:

I still like oil-based Arm-R-Seal.

To spray:

I like General Finishes water-based, lacquer (for items not requiring a ton of protection, say a picture frame or a mantle) it's cheaper to buy. For more protection such as tables and such, I like General Finishes High Performance water-based.

As to any finish, water/oil/solvent being thicker. Typically that depends on the manufactures and how much solids a finish contains. The reason a finish cost more than others is due to the amount and type of solids contained in that finish.

I'm looking for a high gloss wipe on poly. The key characteristic being the wipe on part.

So, with that said, what are your favorite brands?

I have tried the Minwax WOP from Lowes, and it was fine, but I felt it was lacking something.

I have tried a water based WOP from General Finishes...I think it was called Premium Finish? I liked that a LOT, but it was a satin finish, looking for a gloss finish this time.

I don't know the correct GF product I would want.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Get a good polyurethane-containing gloss varnish and dilute it about 50/50 with solvent to make your own wipe-on varnish.

Blessings.