o ring pin chuck

duckkisser

while looking for a tapered pin chuck so that i could hold varing sized rings on the lathe i came across this o ring pen chuck and thought it was inturesting form of pin chuck. seems like it would be faster to make pens this way then to buy a pen mandrel and then move the bushing and nuts on and off for every pen that you want to make. speed up production means that you drop your price or you can get more money every hour for every pen that you make

http://content.penturners.org/library/tools_and_jigs/pinchuck.pdf

let me know if this iwll work or what you think of the process.

That is a lot of work to save a couple of seconds of effort. I also don't really like it because I prefer to put on finishing bushings when I am applying CA. I try to only use a pin chuck or even a collet chuck as a last resort or for a VERY specific purpose. An example would be when re-purposing a Pentel pencil kit....as in when no regular mandrel tricks work and you have to improvise.

However, there are lots of guys out there who love making shop jigs and fixtures. This is a very neat trick if you enjoy that aspect of woodworking.

thats true i was just thinking of this group that makes freedom pens for troops and it would be nice if i could batch out 100 in a hour real fast to sent to U.S. soldiers. also trying to think of a easy way to set it up so the kids in the classroom can have a fool proof method of making pens.