Oil Based finish - specific products

Ray Price

I watched your video "Oil Based Finish Basics"

I have a question on two specific products that you may or may not have any experience in.

The first products is Waterlox. It's an oil/varnish blend that I was wondering if you had experience in, what you may like about it or not like about it.

Waterlox

Second product is one you didn't discuss in the video, mostly because its availability is slim, and you'd have to order it somewhere. And that is Hemp Oil. It is also a true oil, like Boiled Linseed and Tung oil. I discovered hemp oil while browsing lumberjocks.com and saw a product called "Homestead House - Hemp Oil Wood finish"

Hemp Oil

Do you have any experience with Hemp oils, and any opinions on it.

The reason I ask these questions is because I like to finish my projects using more traditional methods, with a hand rubbed look, using traditional oils.

Iv'e used waterlox, and like it a lot because since it's a blend, it has the natural beauty of oils, with added protection of varnish.

But I'm very curious about Hemp oil because I work indoors inside my house, and Hemp Oil has no VOC's, easy to apply (like linseed oil or tung oil), but I think it looks better once the project is done compared to linseed oil.

Hey Ray. Waterlox makes some great products. Their oil/varnish blend is fantastic but in terms of application, its not really any different than any other oil/varnish blend. But in general, Waterlox is much loved by woodworkers.

As for hemp oil, I have no personal experience. But after doing a little reading, it seems like it is going to behave exactly like BLO and tung oil. I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the different between it and comparable oils. Always a good idea to do some test boards so you can see for yourself. So if the history of the finish appeals to you and you don't mind working with a straight oil, I see no reason not to use it.

Please note: Waterlox is a fully-cooked varnish (tung oil, phenolic resin and rosin) , not an oil/varnish blend.

This is what the company and their chemists say.

Oils varnishes are made my cooking together drying oils with resins.

The ingredients aren't simply mixed together.

It's like making cooked pudding from eggs, sugar and milk.

The result is different than the ingredients. Yum... :)

The chemist in me is speaking.