Rebuilding a craftsman lathe

Clint Wenthur

Clint:

I too have an old Sears lathe. I have had it in and out of service for at least 35 years. It gives me fine service. I have it mounted on a bench. The motor is Lagged to the top of the table just as instructions call for.

Right now I am turning Pens, And it is working well. Am still using The same sears lathe chisels that were purchased with lathe.

Best of luck with new "old" lathe.

Clem

Does anyone know if it is worth my time?

I think that boils down to whether or not you think you would enjoy the process of rebuilding the old lathe and making a stand for it. If you would, go for it. Otherwise you might be happier just buying something all set up and ready to go. I personally like restoring old equipment, but I realize it's not everyone's favorite thing.

There's a short thread about lathe stands here:

-- Russ

Thanks for the updates and links. I will post a few pictures of the lathe once I dig it out from under the tables in my shop. I will definetely enjoy restoring this piece of equipment as I don't think I would otherwise purchase a lathe given most of my experience has been with cabinets and other shop tools. http://wenthurs.blogspot.com