Water-based stain over mineral spirits???

Timothy

I am refinishing my white oak kitchen cabinets, but I seem to have goofed. I am using a GF water-based stain, and I accidentally washed the bare wood cabinets with mineral spirits/paint thinner right before I was to apply stain. I realized my situation soon afterward before I applied any stain. Knowing that the mineral spirits are not going to mix with the water-based stain, what should I do to correct the situation? Can I simply apply some denatured alcohol and the issue is corrected, or do I need to re-sand etc? Also, I have read that naphtha is possibly better than denatured alcohol anyway. Dries faster? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Wash your wood down real good with lacquer thinner. That will help pull the mineral spirits out of the wood. Let the wood dry out for several days. Longer the better. Then carry on with the water-based stain.

Problem is, oaks deep grain needs to "gas off" (dry) from the mineral spirits. That deep oak grain acts like a swimming pool holding on to the mineral spirits.

Naphtha and mineral spirits are sorta the same "bad" to a water-based finish. Next time try using equal amounts of water to denatured alcohol for washing your woods prior to anything water-based. The water will raise the grain and extend the drying time of the alcohol so you can actually wash the wood. Some guys/gals use only water to raise the grain. However on porous wood, the water gets pulled in deep, taking that much longer for the wood to dry.

I applied a liberal amount of lacquer thinner to the cabinets. Enough so there shouldn't be an open flame within 100 yards of my kitchen. I am assuming it might be a good idea to do the same tomorrow, and then I will stain on Saturday. There are several fans blowing into the room to facilitate additional airflow.

I am new to the woodworking trade and it is amazing how the "chemistry" of the field is so complicated at first. Has anyone ever come up with a family tree, this can be mixed with what, or this can't be mixed with that until this is applied chart? I'm working on my own right now in my noggin.