TV woodworkers

Guest Trace

I work in television...

As I write this I am working on a baking competition show. We started at 5:30 this morning, the timed competition is 12 hours straight, then followed by several hours of judging, several hours of what we call "beauty shots" , 4 hours or so of interviews, and then reset time.

There are 10 cameras- each shooting about 20 hours per episode, which equals 200 hours of footage (all on baking cakes!)-- add to that other story lines, recaps and graphic effects. All for an hour program--which after commercials is 42 minutes of TV.

A 1/2 hour show like Norm or Rough Cut is 22 minutes of TV! What can you do in your shop in 22 minutes? and can you be entertaining for all 22 minutes? That's why Tommy Mac talks that fast!! It's not just the Boston accent!

I love my job, but...

TV is a lot like sausage. You don't want to see how it's made.

• 5 months later...

First of Norm at the begininng was into actual wood working when he had his contractors saw and makita router. But once he got sponsored, he was into selling tools and demonstrating their use. It wasnt what you would call instructional any more.

Most TV shows appeal to a certain audiance. They are entertainment value. Most home improvement shows are the same.

Entertainment/ demonstration purposes only.

There are some people who actually believe they can remodel a kitchen in a weekend from womb to tomb on the project.