BLO finishing tips

bglenden

Hello -

I'm finishing a small piece of cherry (wood) furniture using BLO for the first time. I am three coats in (last coat 3 days old), and about half of each board is very slightly tacky (much less so than a post-it note glue strip). Up until this point I have been leaving each coat pretty wet but not dripping. (And it's starting to look great!)

My questions:

1. My guess is that the fact that some of each board is slightly tacky must mean that the wood pores are getting full and the BLO will start to build a surface finish.

2. Should I wait until the oil is completely dry before putting on subsequent coats. And how wet should subsequent coats be?

3. When should I stop - when the entire surface has the same appearance? (I'll finish with some shellac, so I don't particularly need to build a finish).

4. I have some some dust here and there - eliminate with steel wool or fine sandpaper?

Thanks for any advice, and sorry for the newbie questions.

Cheers,

Brian

I've never gone more than two coats of linseed oil. Beyond three and you're getting into the realm of building a film, for which some sort of varnish would be a better choice.

Linseed oil can be flooded on to a surface and you have plenty of working time; but it's best to wipe off the excess before leaving it. If it's an open-pore wood such as oak, you may need to come back and wipe it down again as oil comes back out of the pores.

Wait a day or so, hit it with steel wool and then start building your shellac.