My first almost real workbench

Bobby Slack

In my shop I have three Festool tables and an old workbench against the garage wall. I have been dying to get a real workbench but other projects always get in the way. Also, I want to have this real workbench with space around it to walk so this requires total rearangement of my current garage stuff.

Today I got a call from a friend who has an old maple top 3' x 8' long and is in reasonable condidion 2" + a skoshe (if that is how you spell it). I will make a base for this slab and start attaching some vices eventually.

All benches will match my Festool tables so everything sort of works together.

Option 2 is to have the slab somewhere inthe garage and when I need it, I can slap it on top of my Festool tables and use it ...

Hmmmm

Hmmmm

Will see what happens.

I would say it depends on the type of work you do. If you are a Normite a actual bench is not nearly that important, if thats the case I would vote for the back burner. If you are a hybrid or neanderthal drop what your doing and build a bench because the time you spend on the bench will more than pay for it's self in one project not to mention the headaches you will save. Any way of working the wood is good as long as it makes you happy. When I first got into woodworking I was all power all the time and just couldn't understand the desire for a big woodworking bench, I had an assembly bench and a standard but as the years went by I changed and so did my outlook on benches. My father likes to dab in woodworking but strictly powertool so a Roubo is at the bottom of his list. Nice score by the way!

The top is not perfect and frankly I am not sure how much perfection I need. Probably I will end up taking this top to my cabin in Colorado and set it up there. I have some leftover 12" x 12" huge beams which will work well as a solid base ... do you think?

You were very close Bobby. It’s “skosh”. So, just drop the “e”.

Now, if I could just find someone to give me a maple top like you’re being given, I’d be set.

Hmmm… 12”x12”. I’m visualizing a single pedestal workbench. Just think of all the clamping space around the edge! Or, maybe a dual pedestal with a third 12x12 as a trestle. Or, you could cluster 4 together for a super single 24x24 pedestal workbench. But, I would build the MONOLITHIC workbench! You could stack 6 12x12’s up in a 2 wide by 3 high (by whatever length) pattern. Whatcha think?

You really got me more than a chuckle ... I want to keep it clean in this forum LM..O

I like the monolithic concept and in the bottom I can run a couple of extentions at the ends to make it look like an "I" Beam.

Very interesting concept with lots of room underneath. I think you have something there. Seriously.

Hmmm… 12”x12”. I’m visualizing a single pedestal workbench. Just think of all the clamping space around the edge! Or, maybe a dual pedestal with a third 12x12 as a trestle. Or, you could cluster 4 together for a super single 24x24 pedestal workbench. But, I would build the MONOLITHIC workbench! You could stack 6 12x12’s up in a 2 wide by 3 high (by whatever length) pattern. Whatcha think?

Funny you mention the name Gorilla ... My property is called Gorilla #1 .... long story, my property is an old mine claim from back in the 1880's .... bla bla bla ... and the name is Gorilla.

:lol:

I’m not sure how practical a monolithic workbench would be, but it would take a Silverback* to move it!

* male gorilla