how to rechuck up a large bowl on lathe

duckkisser

i bought some large 11 inch bowls for 2.00 that i will resand and refinish and then put a stone inlay into the bottoms. my problem is that my flat jaw chuck only expands up to 8 inches. these bowls dont have a tennon so i cant chuck them up in a traditions system. anyone got any ideas how i can re chuck this up to the center? i dont have a vacuume chuck, and the large jaws for my chuck are too big they are 14 inchest and my swing is 12 inches. how can i find the center of the bowls.

http://woodworking.com/ww/Article/The_Soft_Underbelly_of_Bowls_8493.aspx this what im thinking of doing but i am not shure if there is a better way to do it.

its ok you should get a lathe they are alot of fun and i know of no other tool that lets you make a project in a matter of a couple hours from start to finish. plus they take up little foot space. my lathe is only the size of a dressor. in fact that is what i use for a stand.

i might need it chris i was looking at my jaws and i know they wont fit in fact my jaws fit inside the bowls :) i might just end up turning a tennon in the bottom of the bowls then rechucking on my lathe for the actual sanding and inlay work. chris i might have a use for your new sander. need to make some zero clearence table saw inserts and my planer cant get thin enough.

Have ever thought of doing one like this? I've seen them used....

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/67107

i have seen those and thought of making one but the only problem is that the two pieces have to be exactly the same. and if ct lathe will work ill just go that method as its faster and easer. got to like easy seing as im lazy.

Give me a call when you want to work on it Dan, about any night next week will work. You can use the new drum sander too.

dont k now when ill be able to get along to you ct were starting a new quarter and the school lessons next week so i might be hectic seeing as we have all new studients and a new lesson plan that has to be done in two weeks. thanks though ill talk to you later.

:) found art that's a nice way to put it. I think of it more as a bowl already roughed out saving me time and money. I plan on adding a inlay strip on the edges though the tennon is just the easiest way to get these chucked up safely.