Blum Undermount Runners in Solid Wood Case

farimir

Hi

Has anyone mounted Blum undermount drawer runners to a solid wood case? I need some advice on how to attach these to a solid wood case without constricting wood movement. I know one can probably drill out the holes on the Blum runner itself to make it elongated, but I do not want to do that if not absolutely necessary. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Heinrich

I've used the tandem slides with solid wood, and as you already mentioned, you need to allow for expansion/contraction somehow.

I usually anchor the slides in place in the front, and allow any movement at the back of the slide via a slotted mounting hole.

Best,

Gregory

Gregory

Sounds like you have a solution, care to elaborate on how you do the slotted mounting hole?

I usually just cut between two holes, and smooth out the remainder with a dremal tool, or a die grinder. I only do this at the back of the slide, that way my drawer reveal at the front of the cabinet wont be affected by wood movement. Then I consider the seasons when I install the back screw - If I'm attaching it in summer, I assume the wood is expanded, and I place the screw at the back side of the slot, that way it has room to move forward when the cabinet contracts in the winter - Visa versa for winter/summer.

a 1/4" of movement per foot of width is what you need to accomodate for.

This is assuming there will be seasonal humidty changes - If you live in Panama, or the Sahara, things may be a bit different for you....

Hope this helps

-Gregory

Thanks Gregory

This is what I thought of maybe doing. I wanted to use the drill press to drill out the metal between two of the holes and clean it up, but I was scared the runner might start to rust or something. I live in South Africa and the wood movement here are at a minimum so I was planning on putting the screw in the middle of the elongated hole which should be ok.

Thanks Gregory

This is what I thought of maybe doing. I wanted to use the drill press to drill out the metal between two of the holes and clean it up, but I was scared the runner might start to rust or something. I live in South Africa and the wood movement here are at a minimum so I was planning on putting the screw in the middle of the elongated hole which should be ok.

If your humidity levels stay pretty even, then you'd be in safe territory.

Best,

Gregory