Why end grain!!!

bellavita

Hi,

I have seen your video on youtube (

) about making an end grain cutting board and the advantages.It is mentioned that wood has long latitudinal fibers and when you chop with a knife these fibers get damaged so it is better to have a end grain where the wood had longitudinal fibers and these fibers have some elasticity.

however, when wood(logs of a tree) is split .They are usually split in the longitudinal way.

Now coming back to a end grain cutting board, when we use a meat cleaver with force to chop through the bones, wouldn't this split the wood in the same fashion.

Am I missing some thing here...

I believe you asked this on YouTube and I left you a reply there, but I'll post it here too. Essentially I said that you are right. If you chop one of my boards hard enough, the wood will split. So that's why i don't whack at it with a cleaver. If you are using a cleaver aggressively, you probably want a much thicker butcher block that is held together with threaded rods. The rods help stabilize the board and prevent splitting and will help the board last longer.

If you consider the alternative, long grain, heavy chop would quickly create fragments of wood that would just pop off and destroy the surface of the board. So in general, the end grain is considered more durable. But again, the boards we make here really aren't the best option for heavy chopping.