fuji Q4 pro

jimmykx250

Well thanks to some info from Mark and this website I chased after a fuji q4 hvlp. I watched ebay and craigslist and finally found one heck of a deal. 250 bucks for a complete system! I need to buy some filters for the unit and the gun along with a few accessories and im off to the races. I have bought a considerable chunk of my woodworking equipment used and I have had only good luck so far. Every time I go to buy the equipment i end up shooting the breeze with whom ever is selling it. It's a win win for everyone. I strongly recomend this method for the folks out there looking to save a few bucks. My theory is (and atleast so far has been correct) is that the people buying these rather pricy pieces of equipment tend to be the type who are somewhat responsible and tend to care for the machines or accessories themselves. Watch out on e-bay for people who are wholesalers or just turning the equipment for a quick buck. It usually only takes a question or two and you will know. Just my 2 cents. I will give feedback on the sprayer as soon as i use it.

Sounds like a good deal to me. I have bought one thing used from craigslist (my tablesaw) and to be honest with you if it wouldn't have been in good shape I wouldn't have bought it. The guy was kind of a smartbutt and even my cousin that went with me to help load it was holding his breath to keep from saying something. Just wish i could find some good deals in my area. The ones I do find are always taken before I can go and get it.

Sounds like a good deal to me. I have bought one thing used from craigslist (my tablesaw) and to be honest with you if it wouldn't have been in good shape I wouldn't have bought it. The guy was kind of a smartbutt and even my cousin that went with me to help load it was holding his breath to keep from saying something. Just wish i could find some good deals in my area. The ones I do find are always taken before I can go and get it.

I find if im looking for something i watch like a hawk-if i see it i move on it.

Sometimes you just have to wait for it. I missed out on a new fuji mini mite 4 never used one year old on e-bay /I was out bid by 10bucks I happend to be on the road when the auction finished and i was pretty bummed about it but things worked out anyhoo-Just keep yours eyes peeled!

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to post my review on this fuji Q4 turbine spray system i picked up on craigs list for 250 bucks. The unit needed a little cleaning and a couple of filters and i have sprayed a few different finishes with it since the purchase. The unit works as advertised and is very efficient at getting the material to the product without too much overspray. Thinning the product is critical to achieving a good smooth finish. I guess i will get better at thinning as time goes by but for now it seems very crucial that i use the cup and time the straining to see if im right on with viscosity. It seems to me there is a considerable amount of set up time and thinning to consider so I guess it depends on the project as to weather or not a sprayer is worth the set up. I havent done a table top yet but it seems like that would be the real shining moment for a sprayer like this.

Other than set up time I could see why anyone would want to use one of thesein a shop. You simply cant get a finish like this with a brush. As for cost I can only say that you get what you pay for and i was really considering the earlix 5000 new vs a used fuji system like this and i can say that all the components on the fuji are truly high grade and will last a long time.

Awesome. I still need to say "You suck", but you got a great deal on a great HVLP. :)

For dealing with the viscosity, I have a list where I store the gun for different finishes I used and how I deal with them. List the needle/nozzle pair used, input pressure (I have a conversion gun), and thinning. While it doesn't mean what I used last is the best, it gives me a starting point and usually I annotate the list to know where to make adjustments later. Stuff like "had more overspray than I should" or "didn't flow out well" etc. After awhile you don't look at the list for common finishes you like, but I've been surprised at how often I look when using a new finish "that reminds me of this other one".

No, but really, you suck :)

Awesome. I still need to say "You suck", but you got a great deal on a great HVLP. :)

For dealing with the viscosity, I have a list where I store the gun for different finishes I used and how I deal with them. List the needle/nozzle pair used, input pressure (I have a conversion gun), and thinning. While it doesn't mean what I used last is the best, it gives me a starting point and usually I annotate the list to know where to make adjustments later. Stuff like "had more overspray than I should" or "didn't flow out well" etc. After awhile you don't look at the list for common finishes you like, but I've been surprised at how often I look when using a new finish "that reminds me of this other one".

No, but really, you suck :)

Thanks for the tip Paul, I will start a note sheet for different finishes. I do feel I got a great deal on the hvlp. I did have to drive for 2 hours one way and I was was watching the used market for some time. But in the end it was worth it. I know I suck:)