Crosscut sled for Ryobi BT1000

jimboAZ

First post, I'm just getting interested in doing some woodworking. I started with a Ryobi BT1000 table saw, it's been a good one so far; yet I have a question when it comes to making a sled. You see, the BT1000 doesn't have the slots, so I'm looking for an option. Bottom line, I'd like to have/use a sled, yet my table saw doesn't have any slots. TIA, Jim

That saw is supposed to come with a sliding miter table - that's why it doesn't have slots. If you don't have the sliding table, there should be some way to make one that works the same as the original.

You can make a sled which rides along the side of the table. You can also make a sled that rides against the fence, but then it's difficult to get the kerf in the fence to line up perfectly with the blade.

I suppose you could tap some holes in the fence rails, and use them to mount guide rails that a sled could ride between. Each time you attached the rails, they'd be in the right position.

Just ideas off the top of my head.

Thanx Beechwood Chip ... your thoughts are good, I'll spend some time seeing if I could make that work. I really like the concepts behind using a crosscut sled. BTW, it's a BT3100 model, the memory banks weren't functioning when I made my posting. hehhe

• 6 years later...

Looked at the date of the original post and thought I would resurrect it. Running into the same with my BT3000. One solution would be to build a sled with aluminum channels on the sides that slide along the stationary part that has the blade. It would be about 8-10 inches wide. I'm cutting some oak stair treads and had a time getting the miter square to the blade. Had lots of slop but I had to tighten the plastic clips, now no slop side to side. The miter bar could have been designed better, IMHO. The bolt only has about 1/8 inch to grip on either side.s for the dual miter slot mentioned, not really wanting to pay any more for accessories. Got the TS real cheap with about $100 worth of blades. Not going to do this right away but got it on the to-do list.