Roubo workbench on the Guild

Suds

I'm considering joining the guild to build a Roubo workbench. My problem is I have limited space for the workbench in my garage. I have one spot where I could locate it but the overalll length cannot exceed 60 inches. Will this make joining the Guild and using the plans for the Roubo worthless to me?

I know several folks who created shorter versions of the bench to accommodate a smaller space. So you should be able to adapt them as needed. Of course you will need to lose some length in the slab and the base, but if you like the look of this particular Roubo, you should still be able to make use of the plans and videos. The complex portions of the project surround the vise installation and joinery, which would all still apply to a shorter bench.

Hello Suds,

I made my Roubo 75 inches long to suit my space. Took some space from right end to right leg, and some from middle section. You'll need to tune it a bit more than I did, but it is quite doable. Biggest issue is overhang required for the end vise (BC wagon vise). That needs the space Marc allowed unless you wish to take on some extra work. You'd need to cut the rails and the screw I guess (without looking closely to see if any other issues would rear their ugly head). I tend to make my own dimensions on any plans anyway.

Keep in mind that there are other end vise options in the world, but I do like the BC vise very much.

I would highly recommend using the Guild videos and pdf plans as a starting point. I watched the videos for an overview and then returned to them for many of the steps along the way. They are incredibly helpful, even if you decide to alter the path at times to suit your build.

Good luck with the project.