Alder

Bobby Slack

Hey guys. I don't see anybody from the East Coast even mentioning this type of wood. I use this all the time. Is a poor man's cherry. Is it that most lumber yards in the East don't offer this?

I wasn't aware that alder had characteristics similar to cherry. Sounds good. I'll have to check the availability in my area.

I think we use poplar where you use alder.

Speaking of poplar Beechwood, the current issue of American Woodworker magazine (Oct/Nov 2010), has an article called "Make Poplar Look Pretty". They even show how to remove the heartwood green cast.

Hmmm. I don't know the answer but I will quote a couple of books. Is this allowed? I will take a risk.

From "World Woods" by William A. Lincoln http://www.amazon.com/World-Woods-Color-William-Lincoln/dp/0941936201

Mechanical properties: This is a soft, weak wood of medium density, low bending strength and shock resistance.

Durability: Perishable ...

It also said that has little movement in service ... to which I add .. "indoors".

I can't find anything regarding the darkening with exposure to light.

I have used Alder in exterior applications on some doors that I modified for a bifolding application (used instead of sliding doors). I also used Sikkens Cetol 1 & 23 which is a great stain for outdoors and used for log cabins.

So I am not sure that the wood moved because of using cheap doors (these 3' wide 7' tall glass panels were about $ 200 each and if Y buy a Marvin panel it would be $ 1,000 for pine so ...

Is it the construction? ... is it the wood? I would not take the risk.

For exterior applications I would pay a slight more money for Iroko ... (Cheaper teak, and I discovered this wood in this forum).

Thanks for the warning Bobby! I'm assuming that alder, unlike cherry, does not darken from light exposure over time(?).

I'm an east coast guy and my wood man has alder but I've never used it. Marc actually suggested it as a possible wood for a project I was asking about but for me it's not really that cheap. Over 6 bucks a bf here and there are plenty of other woods that I can use that are cheaper, like southern pine.