What wood to use?

wdwerker

A client wants 2 new replacement raised panels for a large old front door on his house. It will be painted on both sides. 20" wide by 24" tall and 1 1/4 thick final dimensions . Door framework is 1 3/4 thick.

Been a long time since I did much exterior work. What would be the best wood to handle the full sun and weather without cracking and splitting. It will be fully painted before installation ,held in place by interior trim.

Gluing up the blank with Titebond 3 and shaping the panel is easy in my shop, just wondering what kind of wood y'all would pick to make it out of.

If its getting painted (especially prior to installation) you can use almost anything. The paint is going to take most of the abuse of the elements.The main thing would be to match the texture of the existing door stiles and rails. If there is no wood texture showing through the paint I say maple could be up for consideration. Mahogany is going to have a slight texture while white oak could be a little much.

Is there a storm door?