Are you a Jigaholic

dryhter

Are you a Jigaholic?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Jigaholic?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Sometimes.
    • Only when it keeps me from doing something I don't want to do.
    • Only when I am getting paid by the hour.

Hey Jon what originally got me looking at your post was the restoring the butcher blocks , got any pictures . I've restored two leveled the tops and had to turn some legs , How bad are they?

I haven't started yet.

1. I didn't know the approach I would take until now.

2. I didn't have the confidence I needed until watching this video.

3. I still haven't quite decided on the planes I will use or how I'm going to sharpen the blades. I'm leaning toward Lie Nielson planes at the moment. I reserve the right to change my mind at any time. :)

I will start with one long angle jack plane and if I'm happy with my results I'll get another plane if I need it to finish the job. As far as sharpening the blades I'm thinking of getting the over priced Tormec or the Veritas MK II fixture and maybe diamond stones although I'm no fan of the DMT stuff. I don't think the concept of putting a metal grate over synthetic diamond works that well and I don't buy that it helps clear cut material. I do think it greatly reduces the cost to make the stone. :rolleyes:

No way am I going to spend all that time trying to get a planer blade "perfect" with water stones. At this time and for this project I don't believe it's worth the effort.

The butcher block tops are in good shape except for where I've hit them with hammers, etc over the years. I've been advised to try and steam out the dents first. This seems like excellent advise to me as the less I have to plane off the happier I'll be.

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA