has anyone used okoume?

wyowoodwrker

First off, new poster. I have been reading for weeks now glad I found this site, got a lot of great tips. I am fairly new to the hobby and really enjoy my time in my shop.

On to my point. I picked up a shipping crate at work today and after a little research from where it came from I was able to determine that it is okoume. The question being has anyone used it. The web says its used for a lot of sheet goods but this is a solid board crate.. its tight grained moderatley soft and pinkish color with a curl look to it similar to maple.... just wondering if anyone has used it before. I'm thinking keep sake boxes and other small stuff....

The plywood was awful, smelled funny , warped and did not finish well. The solid wood was easy to work and stained and finished just fine. I think I remember it fuzzed up from router bits, took a tiny shaving cut and cut most of it off. Had to climb cut a section to get it clean.

Thanks for the info, I ran a small piece, relatively. Through the planer last night. It planed nicely and has a really neat grain pattern and salmon pink color to it, add the stains from the iron nails they used to build the crate and it is really pretty. I did notice the off sort if smell as well and left an almost bitter taste in the throat. Believe I will be wearing a mask when working with it from now on. Will post pictures as I get going with it. Thanks again for the info.

Accoumea gaboon is a weather resistant species in its own right. There is very little texture or grain to it and often present as a blank slate which is why it is used so much in marine grade plywood that acts as a substrate for something else (Teak decking, fiberglass, etc). It has a lot of working properties similar to Genuine Mahogany but it has a tighter grain pattern and close pore. I haven't personally worked with it as a solid material because it just isn't used much for anything but plywood. If you have it in solid it is probably because it was defected from a plywood build. Since you found it in a packing crate, you can further believe that it is a defect piece. In other words, all bets are off and it could behave completely differently from the "normal", higher grade stuff. Doesn't mean that it will misbehave, just that it is a lesser grade appearance wise.

• Like 1