Edge grain cutting board

susieq4131

SQ, You will do fine. With hubby there to teach you should have no problems.I'm kinda glad that I pushed you to do this, now the projects are endless! Now get working on that end grain cutting board! :) If you need some pointers let me know, there are a few things that I encountered when I did mine that nobody ever addressed when making it with a lot of pieces.

Good luck

SQ, You will do fine. With hubby there to teach you should have no problems.I'm kinda glad that I pushed you to do this, now the projects are endless! Now get working on that end grain cutting board! :) If you need some pointers let me know, there are a few things that I encountered when I did mine that nobody ever addressed when making it with a lot of pieces.

Good luck

I don't know how to do multiple quotes. But this rely is intended for everyone that offered great suggestions, videos, and information.

I researched featherboards and decided on the magswitch featherboard and the vertical attachment. I love them both. One holds the board against the fence and the other holds down the stock. Wearing my ear protection, safety glasses and standing outside of the danger zone, with blade just high enough to see the teeth on the blade, I cut multiple pieces of walnut by myself using a push stick. I am happy to report the wood didn't take flight. :) The magswitch featherboard & vertical attachment worked perfectly. This little gadget has rare earth magnets which holds the feather board to the table and a convenient on and off switch so it is easy to move for the next cut. I have another walnut, cherry, and maple cutting board glued up on the edge grain. :D

This saw doesn't have a safety shield for the blade or a splitter. Think I should get these? I have searched high and low and haven't been able to locate them here in the shop. Any other safety items I should acquire? Anything blatantly in error that I posted above?

Thanks you guys! Appreciate all the help. Without your encouragement, I would have continued to avoid this saw like the plague. lol I have much to learn, but feel this is a pretty good starting point.

SQ

post-1522-083247800 1284949510_thumb.jpg

Woo hoo! Congrats!

I think you are doing fine, but since you asked about other safety stuff...

What kind of saw do you have? That will help us suggest accessories that will fit.

A riving knife is a good safety feature to reduce the chance of kickback. It's essentially a splitter that sits right behind the blade. It's not essential, but most of the people talking about getting a new saw have it on their list of high priority features. One neat feature of a riving knife is that it can be set at the same height as the blade, so that you can use it on non-through cuts. If you don't have to take it off, then you can't forget to put it back on. MicroJig make an inexpensive splitter that sits right behind the blade and can be fitted to almost any saw. It's better than nothing, if you don't have a riving knife.

In other threads I've heard about the BORK (Bolt On Riving Knife), which is an after market riving knife. That's about all I know about it.

A Zero Clearance Insert (ZCI) is easy to make and inexpensive to buy. It's a nice safety feature when you are shaving off a sliver of wood. It also reduces tearout and gives a cleaner cut. And you can mount the MicroJig splitter in them easily.

I like blade guards, and anyone who can be sued will tell you to use them for all through cuts. Some people take them off when making non-through cuts and never bother to put them back.

There are also blade guards that attach to the fence, attach to the table via magnets, or hang down from above. Some have dust collection built in. All are inconvenient for some kinds of cuts, so you have to think about the cuts you make most often. You can also make a guard out of Lexan / Plexiglass. Let's put it this way; if it were me, I'd be seriously shopping around for some kind of guard, but I wouldn't stop using the saw in the meantime. You should be able to get a Shark Guard for just about any saw.

SQ,

That's great I'm glad I pushed you (nagged) to get to use that table saw. As far as saftey goes, I think Beechwood covered most of it. If you could find the manual that came with the saw then you could order the blade guard and whatever else you need.

Congrads and have some fun!

NYHump

Woo hoo! Congrats!

I think you are doing fine, but since you asked about other safety stuff...

What kind of saw do you have? That will help us suggest accessories that will fit.

A riving knife is a good safety feature to reduce the chance of kickback. It's essentially a splitter that sits right behind the blade. It's not essential, but most of the people talking about getting a new saw have it on their list of high priority features. One neat feature of a riving knife is that it can be set at the same height as the blade, so that you can use it on non-through cuts. If you don't have to take it off, then you can't forget to put it back on. MicroJig make an inexpensive splitter that sits right behind the blade and can be fitted to almost any saw. It's better than nothing, if you don't have a riving knife.

In other threads I've heard about the BORK (Bolt On Riving Knife), which is an after market riving knife. That's about all I know about it.

A Zero Clearance Insert (ZCI) is easy to make and inexpensive to buy. It's a nice safety feature when you are shaving off a sliver of wood. It also reduces tearout and gives a cleaner cut. And you can mount the MicroJig splitter in them easily.

I like blade guards, and anyone who can be sued will tell you to use them for all through cuts. Some people take them off when making non-through cuts and never bother to put them back.

There are also blade guards that attach to the fence, attach to the table via magnets, or hang down from above. Some have dust collection built in. All are inconvenient for some kinds of cuts, so you have to think about the cuts you make most often. You can also make a guard out of Lexan / Plexiglass. Let's put it this way; if it were me, I'd be seriously shopping around for some kind of guard, but I wouldn't stop using the saw in the meantime. You should be able to get a Shark Guard for just about any saw.

Thanks for all the information about options. Fortunately my hubby keeps all manuals. This is a delta 10" table saw model 36-600. This machine did come with a the blade guard and splitter assembly so I am thinking about ordering it. Seems hubby removed it because he says it gets in the way and catches on the wood? I don't know what kind of cuts he was making, but I just use it for cutting strips of wood to use for cutting boards and bowls. Thinking if I could order something that satisfies both of us, there might be less change of it getting removed. I just figure anything between us and that blade would be a good thing.

Appreciate all your input.

SQ

SQ,

That's great I'm glad I pushed you (nagged) to get to use that table saw. As far as saftey goes, I think Beechwood covered most of it. If you could find the manual that came with the saw then you could order the blade guard and whatever else you need.

Congrads and have some fun!

NYHump

I am so glad you encouraged me. It's nice to be able to do this cutting without having to wait for hubby. I think he likes it , too. I've located the original manual and am considering ordering the original blade guard and splitter assembly. Hubby took it off because it got in his way and I can't seem to locate it. Wondering if there is something that might satisfy both us and not be removed. If not, I will order the original equipment that came with it.

Any thoughts regarding this would be appreciated,

SQ

I am so glad you encouraged me. It's nice to be able to do this cutting without having to wait for hubby. I think he likes it , too. I've located the original manual and am considering ordering the original blade guard and splitter assembly. Hubby took it off because it got in his way and I can't seem to locate it. Wondering if there is something that might satisfy both us and not be removed. If not, I will order the original equipment that came with it.

Any thoughts regarding this would be appreciated,

SQ

SQ,

I would just go with the one that was made for the saw. I'm sure there are pleanty of after market products out there but just try the one that came with it.

Good luck

NYHump

SQ,

I would just go with the one that was made for the saw. I'm sure there are pleanty of after market products out there but just try the one that came with it.

Good luck

NYHump

Thanks for the reply. I will go ahead and order the blade guard and splitter assembly. Wish I could find the original. Might cruise the shop one more time before ordering it.

SQ