Beginning Moisture Content for Outdoor Furniture

Keggers

Hello everyone.

I have a question regarding the proper beginning moisture content for lumber to build a project that will be placed outdoors. When I'm building furniture for indoor use I choose lumber in the 6% to 8% range. But if you are building a table with benches that will be used outdoors, is it better to use wood that already has a higher moisture content since it will draw moisture once it's outside? I was asked this question from a customer of mine and I really didn't have an answer that I felt comfortable giving, as I've never built any furniture for outdoor use.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The wood in question is walnut that will be finished with spar varnish with a high UV rating.

Well, first off sealing it will prevent moisture from being absorbed to a high degree. There is a price to pay for this though in that even high UV varnish will eventually degrade. The only fix is to totally re-sand and refinish.

The environment of the piece's location is also a factor. Higher humidity levels would suggest wood with a higher moisture content. In an environment with hot & cold seasons & wet and dry seasons, the beginning moisture content will is wrong no matter what. :huh:

The best thing to do is design the joinery for changing conditions. M&T if very stable, dovetails, box joints, etc. Miters will absolutely open up.

Good luck!