Router table & lift impressions

tombuhl

I picked up a Woodpeckers router table with PRL-V2 lift and micro-adjust fence at WIA Pasadena. Also added a Porter-Cable 7518 motor only router. Previously had a Rockler Table with big Bosch router. My eyes stopped at the Woodpeckers booth mainly because of the micro-adjust fence as I've found fine fence adjustments crude (tap, tap, opps too far, tap back) and not very satisfying. I thought I did not mind reaching under the table to adjust height, the adjustment was fine (and positive) enough to make decent (but not calibrated) adjustments). Lifting router and plate out for bit change, likewise not a big deal, given the limited amount of work I did at that table. The Rockler laminate table was not great at keeping everything co-planar, but not a big deal; reasonable for the price. Used it fair bit in my early years (5 years ago).

I hadn't been using the router table all that much these days, so upgrade was pretty far down on my list. I've been either using hand tools or my big beast Festool router above the work for most of my router action. Some tasks require a bit of planning for balance concerns, but nice to see the cut as opposed to marking your cuts, then of course you need to put the mark side down when using a table.

The WIA floor model was nicely priced and I did like adding micro-adjust fence. Had it for almost two months now. While the lift was not a perceived need, I sure appreciate it now that it is in place. Taking a liking to bit changes above the table without pulling out the router. Also liking not bending down/over to make bit height adjustments.

Micro-adjust fence has worked nicely and is much appreciated. Not sure if I'm using the router table more now because it is a sweeter system, or just because it is new. Perhaps a bit of both. Overall fit and finish is nice and improves quiet confidence in my work/play. Sort of like when upgrading to a nice cabinet table saw. I managed to make plenty of cuts and attractive furniture with the older contractor saw, but everything seems smoother, quieter and removes that tiny bit of uncertainty that you are not even aware of, until it is removed and work flows more in harmony with your design side.

I did not do any comparison shopping, so this is not a "Woodpeckers router table system is better than...", just my early impressions and expression of satisfaction.

post-357-0-59119900-1354239908_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-73436300-1354239909_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-51041200-1354239911_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-21382200-1354239913_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I tell ya Tom, I have been eyeing up that combo for a long time. I will be getting the sidewinder though. I would perfer to have the crank on the side. That fence is just amazing. A step up from the Kreg fence that I am using now. The Kreg is nice, but it has its weaknesses. Someday.. Like you said, it is on the list to be upgraded, just down towords the bottom.