Anyone buying....

cowchaser

Anyone buying anything from the jet powermatic sale? I am itching to buy that 12 inch combo planer/jointer of jets, but not having 220 in my garage at the moment I am very hesitant. Wife keeps saying go ahead heart keeps saying "you havent even built anything yet". I am driving myself crazy on this one. Oh well I'll either do it soon or not at all and end up with my original plan and just get a lunchbox and a 6" jointer. I just don't see myself ever building anything huge. Yes my goal is furniture, but ahhhhh I'm driving myself crazy thinking about it.

There's more to having a wide jointer than jointing wide boards. With a wider jointer, you can joint boards with more difficult grain by skewing the board as it goes over the cutterhead. You may ever make a big project, but if you stick with smaller projects, you most likely will wind up making one with fancy grained woods one day.

I can only say that as far as a 6” jointer, I have lost count of the number of recommendations by woodworkers to go for an 8” jointer and not a 6”. Of course with the Jet 12” Jointer / Planer combo, you will have a 12” jointer as well as a 12” planer. Just some thoughts. I'm not trying to sway you either way on the matter.

If you haven’t seen the promo video for the Jet JJP-12 Jointer / Planer Combo, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7q3lpw_XLM. I have no clue as to how good this machine is, but you would probably want to read reviews first, especially owner reviews before considering a purchase.

If my wife told me to go for it with a large purchase like that, it would be because she was scheming to make one of her own. :)

Haha same here! Sometimes my wife will actually ask me if I need to buy any new tools. I always ask her "why, what do you want to buy" and of course there are some clothes or shoes or whatever she wants... At least she tries to keep it "fair" I guess...

I was looking at one of the combo Jet planers and from everything I've researched I avoided it. I wound up with a lunchbox and a 6". I have already had a few instances where I wish I had at least an 8" jointer....