Home Depot - Purebond plywood

Pbmaster11

I also used some. I think it was a small step above their normal plywood, but only a small step. I also encountered a few voids (not a lot) which I guess should not be unexpected. In one piece I encountered some sort of long piece of twine/string that was buried in one of the internal plys. I meant to save a piece of it but in a shop move it might have been tossed. I believe there is still a part of that in the top of my outfeed table somewhere. The other major issue I found was with how 'chippy' the face veneer was - as though the glue did not really have the strength needed, or was not properly applied. I'm not talking the typical chipout when cutting , but rather I was able to get large (several inches) pieces of veneer to just peel off.

It's too bad because it does look OK, and I wanted to use it as a go-to material. I think I'll use it for some shop equipment but that's about it.

PB (purebond) at HD is columbia's lowest line product thus why its at HD. EPP is their better line and why you will never see it at HD. :) PB is a trademarked gluing method and nothing more. PB comes in many different grades all the way up to their gold plus. Home Depot's choice is to stock the lowest line to increase their own profits.

Don

PB (purebond) at HD is columbia's lowest line product thus why its at HD. EPP is there better line and why you will never see it at HD. :) PB is a trademarked gluing method and nothing more. PB comes in many different grades all the way up to their gold plus. Home Depot's choice is to stock the lowest line to increase their own profits.

I guess that makes sense, from what I've read of what PB really is. So what we're looking at is the same crappy HD plywood with a different glue technology. So it's feasible to actually get a good quality PB plywood? probably from a real lumberyard?

Don - if I go on the Columbia site, do you know what 'product line' is the one HD uses? or is it truly a HD "exclusive"?

I guess that makes sense, from what I've read of what PB really is. So what we're looking at is the same crappy HD plywood with a different glue technology. So it's feasible to actually get a good quality PB plywood? probably from a real lumberyard?

Don - if I go on the Columbia site, do you know what 'product line' is the one HD uses? or is it truly a HD "exclusive"?

I dont know what they carry im sure its a secret as it is with every lumber yard. Even the best of lumber suppliers sell what sells. For example if your place sells gold + D and your customers buy it time and time again without lots of complaints you would price that at a competetive level. Your customers never know what grade they are buying, lower grade means more profit. If you have problems and your material doesnt sell due to quality then you step up a grade and loose some profit. If the customer is happy with it they dont need to know what the grade is. Plywood is just a numbers game. Find a good supplier that sells something your happy with and stick with it.

Don

I was thinking about trying this stuff, but I can get sheets of plywood for only $10 more at my hardwood dealer. I think I will stay away from the hassel, and keep buying my hardwood dealer stock :)

Although not PureBond, I did buy a sheet of 3/4" Birch (not Baltic Birch) plywood from Menards for a project that was going to be painted. I was surprised to see almost no voids in this stuff. I mean, maybe there was a dime sized void here and there, but they were all manageable. Absolutely no chip out of the stuff, but maybe that was because of my TS55.

Any way, I will continue to buy this product from Menards in the future, and I recommend their plywood over Home Depot's.

My experiences have been very positive with Purebond, with a couple of caveats.

I have built ~20 cabinet carcasses (kitchen and bathroom) using Purebond plywood, and would certainly use it again. I had no problems with delamination nor veneer quality (the face veneer is rather thin). Importantly, I used the 3/4 Maple (~$60/sheet; ~B2-grade), which is now no longer stocked at most/all HDs (it can be special ordered). I choose to use it based on price and estimated quality (I was not disappointed). Personally, I would not use the 3/4 ~$40 Birch (~C3 grade, widely available at HDs) for cabinet construction, nor have I ever used Purebond products for door panels (I ordered higher-grade stuff from a specialty plywood store, and was happy to pay the increased costs).

I think as long as you get one decent face for kitchen cabinets especially face framed the HD stuff is going to be fine. Nobody really spends alot of time inspecting the insides of their cabinets, thats where the good face goes. The outside really doesnt matter, most are going to butcher the outside with confirmats or staples anyways and cover the ends with a planted panel.

Don