cleaning my hard drive

Bobby Slack

Reinstalling your operating system often works a lot for the performance. I reinstall windows every 1 or 2 years depending how it runs. It isn't just programs or files, but often the registry and programs at start-up that needs to be loaded slow everything down a lot.

To make things simple I always store my files on a different partition. Never save files or have the "My Documents" map located on the same partition as windows. Before deleting windows I always make a screenshot of my desktop and start menu. After installing windows I can check the screenshots to use as a reference to download new version of those programs. This way I won't forget what to install and have everything up to date and running in no-time.

And of course, don't forget to make backups of important files, browser settings, favorites and emails.

I agree with Loki although part of why I clean out my machine from time to time is that a new version of the OS comes out and I rather have a fresh install to an upgrade install. Also, though, back in the day I wrote COM-based software and the amount of crap being registered and possibly dangling bugged me.

One thing I'd do when doing this is, like Loki said, backup your documents folder. I usually did the entire home directory for active users (so the parent directory for My Documents). I'd only restore what I wanted from it on the new machine, but at least most of my world was in there.

Run msinfo to generate a detailed report of your system's contents. The application list is fantastic for knowing what you had (even if it doesn't show in Add/Remove Programs) plus a lot of other details. It generates a text file you can print.

Another overlooked tool is the disk defragmenter. Couple ways to get to it, but easiest is right-click a drive and pick Properties. Tools tab has a button for the defragmenter. It just launches it so you can defrag any disk, not just the one you right-clicked. This can make huge performance differences if your disk is pretty fragmented. I used to run a scheduled task every Sunday night (when I'm at the club :)) to defrag all my disks. If your disk is pretty fragmented, defrag it then analyze it again as a second defrag can improve it more (has to do with the task requirements why it can't get to the optimum layout on the first defrag).

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I backed up all my files, and now I have 12 hours left. This process is taking forever. I saved all my emails to a separate hard drive. I guess this is one of those good features of gmail eh? Nothing to back up.

Anyway, now using my wife's mac laptop ... what a difference! The only thing that makes me still use the PC is that I could get a laptop for under $ 600.00 (never dream that with a mac) and I can use Act! which is to me the best contact manager software out there.

So, here we go, I manned up and did it.

In my view, I am getting new life out of an old 2005 computer and will make it last longer. More money for tools ...

Finished cleaning the hard drive and the process I used was beyond re-formating. Here is what I learned ... I lost my drivers and to re-install them was painful. It was hard to get my Linksys and Dell people to support me but if you call three times in the row somebody will respond.

Boy my computer is working super fast! So far it was worth it.