Podcasts on Android

croessler

• 3 weeks later...

I'm considering getting an Android phone, upgrading from my "dumb" phone now.  (it's older than the iPhone 1, so it's about time.)

Will these work on music as well, or is there a different app I need to get?  Currently, about half of my music collection is loaded through iTunes (a process I get tired of repeating), and it is not getting any easier to load them to my iPod.  Don't even ask about my collection of podcasts...  I'm looking for a newer computer with more memory (which is one other reason why I'm considering the phone...instead of unwrapping one).

And are there any compatability issues I'd need to keep in mind?

I don't think those will work for music. I've started moving my music into "the cloud" and I've used both the Google Music app and the Amazon app. Google let's you keep 20K songs for free. Amazon charges $25/year for 250K songs. 

For Google you need to upload all your MP3s to them which can be quite slow (several days depending on your connection). Amazon I think can recognize most music and not need to actually upload it, which is much faster.

You can also just dump your music onto the phone with a USB cable. The nice part about having it in the cloud is you can listen to any song you've uploaded, which for me is way more than I can fit on my phone.

The one thing to watch out for is if you bought music from iTunes a few years ago it might have DRM on it and not play on a non-Apple device.