Pilgrimage

jlloydparks

My wife and I have been vacationing in the great state of Maine this past week. We have had wonderful seafood and enjoyed the beautiful weather and scenery of the Downeast coast. It has been a great trip and we are sad to depart tomorrow for a short stay in Boston before continuing on back to Virginia. Part of this trip was vacation and part was pilgrimage so to speak. I had always desired to eat a Maine lobster in Maine, New England clam chowder in New England, and make stop in the hallowed grounds of Warren, Maine at the Lie-Nielsen home show room.

I saved the best for last and we made it as we worked our way back down the coast this morning. I didn't have a huge wish list going in and there isn't much there to tempt me too far, plus the wife was there adding up the total. I walked away with a new set of O-1 chisels. I have desired these since they were released and now they are all mine, except for the 1/4", which was back ordered. I also had them throw in an O-1 blade in for my low-angle block plane. Yes I really like O-1 steel a lot.

DSC_0854.JPG

So here are my impressions of the show room. It is an impressive place next to their stock room, which made me drool seeing all of those stacked brown boxes in their cubby holes just containing the gorgeous tools of a new generation of hand tool woodworkers. They had just about every tool they carry out there to handle and test drive. I was disappointed that they didn't have their new shooting board plane to try. I will just have to wait until a return trip. They did give me a 10% discount for coming to their headquarter showroom which was much appreciated. They also made sure it was free shipping on the back ordered chisel.

I am hoping this will become an annual event for me, but with my work I have never been quite settled in one place for long. We will see how long I am on this coast.

That's on my bucket list: visit L-N HQ before I die. You made out pretty well, despite having to limit your purchases. Those chisels are very sweet!

I didn't take a factory tour. I didn't know that was an option. If they offered, I would have been on that like a Baptist on Banana Pudding. I really wanted to go to their open house in July, however, work is cyclical and it wasn't going to happen this year. I plan to head back to Maine sometime next year so maybe next time.

I have as set of Ashley Iles chisels that I love, but I really like the Lie-Nielsen. I feel bad hitting my Ashley Iles, but I don't think I will mind using these in that capacity. They are bit stouter. My Lie-Nielsen chisels will be for chopping and will probably be honed around 25-27d and the Ashley Iles are now reserved for paring. I may even lower the angle on those down to 20 if they will take it. Both are O-1 and are a pleasure to sharpen on oilstones.