Dovetail Rabbets

jlloydparks

While watching the last guild build the drawer joints made me think of where I had seen these before. I couldn't really place it so I pulled a few books and was going to look through them. Before I got through all of them I went on vacation to Maine and Boston. While in Boston I got a chance to tour the USS Constitution built 1794 to 1797. I was walking between the decks when I looked down at the joinery around a hatch and discovered this.

DSC_0984.JPG

Low and behold it was the dovetailed rabbet joint that Marc used on his drawers. Granted it was in a more frame and panel type construction, but it was still there. I was floored having expected this joint to have come around in the late 19th century and here it was about 100 years early then I expected. Way to include some period details in the modern style chest of drawers.

While watching the last guild build the drawer joints made me think of where I had seen these before. I couldn't really place it so I pulled a few books and was going to look through them. Before I got through all of them I went on vacation to Maine and Boston. While in Boston I got a chance to tour the USS Constitution built 1794 to 1797. I was walking between the decks when I looked down at the joinery around a hatch and discovered this.

DSC_0984.JPG

Low and behold it was the dovetailed rabbet joint that Marc used on his drawers. Granted it was in a more frame and panel type construction, but it was still there. I was floored having expected this joint to have come around in the late 19th century and here it was about 100 years early then I expected. Way to include some period details in the modern style chest of drawers.

I suspect that some how or another, a time machine was involved - That has to be the answer! :D

Old Iron sides is a pretty cool boat - I've heard the Hull is made of white oak, and is 3 feet thick.

-gp

The sides are actually more like plywood than solid. It has an outer white oak layer that varies in thickness, but is about 25% of the overall thickness. Then a middle layer of live oak which is about 50% of the thickness followed by another inner layer of white oak. The upper portion of the side above deck has a thickness a bit over a foot, so I have no doubt that father down the side near the gun ports that it gets upwards of 3'.

The white oak runs horizontally in both the inner and outer layers. The live oak runs vertically.

They had a nice cut out of the hull and I didn't think to take a picture.