Back yard gate. Cypress. Finish Sikkens Cetol 1 & Cetol 23

Bobby Slack

Howdy friends. After my dogs were outside a couple of times, I decided to put everything aside and build a gate.

62" wide x 6' tall.

Construction Two outside stiles and a mid stile. I bought. 2" material and I guess that after milling is going to be about 1-13/16" for the stiles and rails.

Center slats laid horizontal and unglued are 13/16" thick. I am calling these center slats instead of a center panel.

The reason I divided the center panel in half is so when my crazy dog jumps on the gate, he does not break them.

Construction ... DominoXL 12mm x 100 + lag bolts & Titebond III. I ran out of West Systems so I think that 2 dominos 12x100 in  adition with (2) 3/8 x 8" lag bolts should do (per corner). I may add the lag bolts to the center stile but did not think about it.

After pre-drilling the lag bolt with a 15/16" drill bit I was thinking of throwing more Titebond III in the hole.

The bolt will be 2" inside the stiles and then I will plug the holes with walnut dowels.

What else am I missing?

Concern ... to make sure I DRILL STRAIGHT

That is exactly what I did on another gate but i have no time to mail order it.

Normally all my outdoor furniture, gates and doors are joined with West Systems ... This was an emergency so I used

Titebond III + dominos XL + lag bolts 3/8" x 8" + L sstraps (2 per corner plus 5 1/2" x 3" bolts)

Now I have to protect the gate from rottening ... this gate will stay way passed my lifetime :)

==>Thinking of sealing the end grain on the bottom of the gate (stiles)

==>How about using Titebond III?

Sealing the bottom, Yes... TB-III, No.

CPES or West Systems 207 will do a much better job...

Thank you very much. I will try West Marine today. 

==> i have no time to mail order it

Many Sears, Rockler and Woodcraft stores carry WS...

Another idea: In you neck of the woods, there should be a couple of kayak and/or river-raft outfitters --- good candidates for either WS or CPES...

==>West Marine

That's a good bet. Out local West Marine carries WestSystems. If they don't have it in stock, bet they can tell you who would...

Yet another reason to join (or form) a local woodworker's clubs -- kind of like the age-old, "Can I borrow a cup of flour?"

I have a buddy of mine who I normally share stuff.

==>West Marine

That's a good bet. Out local West Marine carries WestSystems. If they don't have it in stock, bet they can tell you who would...

Yet another reason to join (or form) a local woodworker's clubs -- kind of like the age-old, "Can I borrow a cup of flower?"

Sorry my previous answer was a bit abrupt. I am not participating in a local club because of time. With a cabinet maker friend of mine we share Sikkens finish and Waterlox which are impossible to have in the local market.

I had a stock of West Systems but ran out and did not want to spend a fortune on more inventory ... live and learn :)

The reason of now participatin in clubs is that between work, tennis, Colorado, I have enough in my plate. If I ask somebody of the club for help, then I would be obligated to lend a hand back ... and I don't like using people and dropping them.

==>West Marine

Yet another reason to join (or form) a local woodworker's clubs -- kind of like the age-old, "Can I borrow a cup of flower?"