Did IKEA inadvertently help woodworking?

jHop

It's not exactly off-topic, but I figured it was the best place to post this.  I was stumbling through my feed on the homepage, and ran across this article about IKEA.

https://homes.yahoo.com/blogs/spaces/ikea-threatens-legal-action-against-ikea-fan-s-8-year-old-site-230646533.html

Now, I'm not saying anything either for or against IKEAs products.  I personally have never shopped there, but I understand the appeal (design is design, regardless of material) of their products.  I do shop in stores selling flat-pack furniture because I don't have space or time to make all the furniture the family needs.  Nor can two members of the family agree on a design.  (I like Craftsman and Shaker because it doesn't require edge profiles or curves, others like curves.  I like natural colors because it means I can finish it in a day, others like darker woods/finishes.  I like plywood and pine because it's available in many places at lower costs, others like exotics like cherry and walnut.)

But did they push some people who might have worked with IKEA products into making their own products now?  The way this feels, if I was one of the followers of that restricted site, I'd start considering my own game, rather than theirs.  Or am I missing something?  Curious what others think of this.

"But did they push some people who might have worked with IKEA products into making their own products now?"

Potentially. Ikea as a brand, to me at least, feels young, cool and obtainable. Once obtained you choose to roll with the less durable nature of the product and refresh your look after a few years or you decide you want to make more durable items.

I have done both. My kitchen table and chairs are the cheapest junk I could find. They are paint stained, damged and in short ruined (children). Fact is I needed it quick set up that I would not loose sleep over if there were problems. When the mood takes me I'll make something better.