Mark Solved

Beechwood Chip

The problem with the feature is that people can pick a post as the best answer before I have a chance to respond, which makes it inherently flawed, obviously.  You can go ahead and mark this as the best answer.

In seriousness, I find it a bit pointless.  The goal of a forum, IMO, is open and potentially endless dialogue.  The best answer feature is kind of a punctuation mark that suggests the end of a conversation.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be upset if it went away.  But - I'm not the target audience - I read this forum pretty regularly.  The target audience are people who never read this forum, Google for "flatten wood", and get back thousands of hits, most of which have nothing to do with their problem.  That person doesn't want to read a discussion, they just want to quickly jump to the answer to see if it fits their question.

My impression of the "solved" feature is that a person asks a question, a dozen people send in really great answers, and the OP marks one of them as "best answer", because it bests fits that person's specific situation, tools, skills, tastes, and mood.   It's kind of like asking "What sport should my 8th grader play?"  "soccer" "baseball", "wrestling" "golf" "basketball" "BASKETBALL IS THE BEST SPORT" "hockey" "golf" "cross country" "swimming" "football" "...

It's a bit annoying to the people with great answers who weren't picked (Kiki and me), and it's not a service to a person who is googling for advice who might find that "cross country" was a better choice for them.

I think it's a feature intended more for help forums. So for instance, the help sections of this forum. "Hi, I can't get this to work." If there's one working solution, the solution gets highlighted. But our other rooms on this site are more opinion and experience-based and there won't be one right answer. And people rarely come in asking questions with absolute answers. So maybe I'll disable it from all but the Help sections.

• Like 1

It could be useful if the common questions and best answers were indexed and easily searchable, but like Marc said this is not a help desk forum. 

While it is a nice way for an OP to recognize a forum member that has gone above and beyond to provide an especially strong answer, it is not widely utilized, so I am fine if it goes away.   

The clean, simple interface of WTO is one reason why I participate in this forum and not others.  Less is almost always more.