Bowl Blanks

chefmagnus@grics.net

Seal the end grain. It helps to cut the blanks to rough size first from the log, but seal the ends to prevent cracking. I use a sorta waxy stuff that's sold for sealing end grain. I have heard that paint just doesn't work well.

You can rough turn the bowl oversized and dry it in a bag with shavings , weigh it and turn to final size when the weight stabilizes. Go read some articles to get all the details of this technique .

I have lots of beeswax for conditioning my cutting boards. Can it be used to seal the end grain? I won't be able to do anything with them for months. Should I just bust them up for firewood or can I wait that long? I plan on reading and watching as many videos as I can. I was surprised to see the deep color of cherry just being tossed into the chipper. I managed to get 6 16-20" logs about knee high. I told the wife that they were going to be shop stools when she told me no more wood or shop stuff. I think that I have reached the end of my rope with stuff for the shop. 

• 2 weeks later...

That might work Chef.  But (always a but), I've still had log sections split on me even after sealing.  There is just so much tension in those logs.  Better would have been to slice them in half minus the pith and then seal.  Cracks always start from the pith....